H1B Cap Gap F1 OPT How to Stay in the U.S. Immigration Attorney

H1B Cap Gap F1 OPT How to Stay in the U.S. Immigration Attorney

California Immigration Lawyer
Sacramento, San Francisco, San Jose and Santa Clara

What happens if your H-1B is approved, but won’t take effect until some months after your OPT expires?

If you are living in the United States and get a job here, your employer may file an H-1B on your behalf. If all goes well, the H-1B will be approved. If you were in the United States on F status and you chose OPT — Optional Practical Training — your OPT may expire in April even though your H-1B will not take effect until October 1st.

What do you do???

Luckily, if your H-1B is approved, and you follow all regulations during this period of time, your legal status will be extended to cover the gap between the end of OPT and the start of H-1B. This is known as a “cap gap”, because it covers the gap in legal status. Bear in mind that you cannot leave the United States during this period, or you will have to reapply at a U.S. consulate outside of the United States before you may return.

Please talk with a qualified immigration attorney before attempting any change in your legal status. Pick up the phone and give us a call! We are always accepting new clients. Call us at (916) 613-3553, or email us at info@ranchodlaw.com and you can schedule a consultation. Our staff can translate Spanish and many other languages. Our passion is for assisting people through the ins and outs of the immigration process, and we recognize that you are very brave to be moving to a new country, and that immigrants like you are what make America great. Give us a call!

This video is for educational purposes only, and is not intended as legal advice. For more educational videos from Ranchod Law, subscribe to our channel or visit our website, http://www.RanchodLaw.com

The Ranchod Law Group
8880 Cal Center Drive, Suite 400
Sacramento, CA 95826