What Doctors and Health Care Facilities Need to Know: H1B, J1 Waiver Requirements – 2 of 4

Share it with your friends Like

Thanks! Share it with your friends!


What Doctors and Health Care Facilities Need to Know: H1B, J1 Waiver Requirements – 2 of 4

California Immigration Lawyer
Sacramento, San Francisco, San Jose and Santa Clara

In this continuation from the first video (click here to watch the first video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6U4dIFLuu8&feature=youtu.be ), we go into detail about exemptions to the H1B cap and change of employer waivers.

Physicians from other countries have four paths to become citizens of the United States:

1. If you are a physician in the residency program on a J1 visa, you need to apply for a J1 waiver. Next, you would apply for an H1B visa, and then permanent residency. After 3 years of permanent residency if married to a U.S. citizen or after 5 years of permanent residency if applying for a green card through employment-based immigration processes, then you can apply for citizenship.

2. If you are a physician in a residency program on a J1 visa but you would like to temporarily bypass the 2-year home residency requirement, you may instead apply for an O1 visa. Eventually, you will still need to get a J1 waiver, and continue your immigration process with permanent residency and eventually citizenship.

3. If you participate in H1B residency, you can then file an H1B change of employer after you’ve completed your professional residency, and then you can become a permanent resident and eventually a U.S. citizen.

4. If you are a Canadian physician, you need only to pass the USMLE and to obtain an H1B visa to begin the application process for full U.S. citizenship.

This video is for educational purposes only, and is not intended as legal advice. For more educational videos from Ranchod Law, subscribe to our channel or visit our website, https://www.RanchodLaw.com

If you have any legal questions, we encourage you to pick up the phone and call us at (916) 613-3553, or to email us at info@ranchodlaw.com and you can schedule a consultation. We meet with new clients every day, and we have different in-office staff members who can translate into Spanish and several other languages. Our passion is for helping people involved in the immigration process, and our law firm knows the ins and outs of every aspect of immigration.

The Ranchod Law Group
8880 Cal Center Drive, Suite 400
Sacramento, CA 95826